Medial Temporal Lobe and Encoding & Retrieval

Ah... well, I know that this has nothing to do with the topics I have been posting/writing about, but I'm recently learning Learning & Cognition in Psychology, and while this is a lot easier than Behavioural Neuroscience or Sensation & Perception, I find it rather difficult to remember everything, so I decided to post something related to that here. (wow, long sentence... I'm getting to the language part of the topic soon, so maybe I'll learn some much-needed grammatical techniques?)

So, here we go.. something random about MEMORY.

Memory processes: Encoding and Retrieval

Encoding: the processing of incoming information to be stored.
 - Acquisition/registration registers inputs in temporary sensory storage
 - Consolidation creates a stronger representation to enable
retrieval at a later time (results in "storage")
*Encoding also depends on the processes of attention.

Retrieval: the utilisation of stored information to create a conscious representation, or to execute a learned behaviour (e.g. a motor act).
 - Explicit: the process of recovering information stored in memory so that we are consciously aware of it. (I believe this is called 'declarative memory')
     - Episodic (memory relating to events) and semantic (memory relating to general knowledge)
 - Implicit: retrieval or access to memories that are not accompanied by conscious awareness. (This is called 'non-declarative memory')
     - Conditioning, priming, procedural memory.

(Taken from The University of Melbourne Psychology Lectures)

Comments