Self-Defence Against Loud MusicRead the news article here.
Dunn’s attorney Monday said her client acted responsibly and in self-defense. She did not elaborate.
|Extract and photo by ThinkProgress Justice|
An unarmed black student was shot and killed after an exchange of words with 45-year-old Dunn regarding loud music.
I don't like to yell 'racism' without any solid evidence but this incident is fishy. What is the rationale behind Dunn's decision to confront the teenagers in the first place? It seems inevitable to ask, 'Would he have gone if he was not carrying a gun?'
Florida's 'Stand your ground' policy has drawn much negative response from the concerned citizens due to its unfairness and tendency to overlook the intentions of the offenders:
- Nearly 70 percent of those who have invoked “stand your ground” to avoid prosecution have gone free.
- 73 percent of those who killed a black person walked away without penalty, while 59 percent of those who killed a white person went free.
- Attorneys are increasingly invoking Stand Your Ground in ways state legislators didn’t originally intend, and use of this defense has grown five-fold in nonfatal cases between 2008 and 2011.
- Among the incidents where defendants walked free: “One man killed two unarmed people and walked out of jail. Another shot a man as he lay on the ground. Others went free after shooting their victims in the back.”
- There are three times more concealed carry permits in Florida since 2005, when Florida passed the law. (Source: ThinkProgress Justice)
I would hate for this incident to be shrugged off as just another ridiculous "self defence" act.