Relativism vs Objectivism


I don't think many people would disagree with the above quote at first glance. After thinking over a few real or imaginary situations, however, they're likely to rethink the above statement and perhaps disagree with it.

This is the basic philosophical thought that describes moral objectivism; that a right and wrong are always there and they're unchangeable and absolute no matter the situation, place or era. While at first glance most people would seem to agree with this idea, a quick look at our current world tells us it's closer to relativism than it is to objectivism. Just look at our laws: it is supposedly "wrong" to take away one's freedom or life, but many countries and their citizens seem to endorse the killing or jailing of criminals.

This area of philosophy has always been my favourite topic to discuss as I kind of almost enjoy the fact that I can never come to a final agreement with myself on this matter, and that I tend to go in circles trying to organise my thoughts. It is this confusion itself that makes me appreciate philosophy. Luckily, there is never a shortage of text on the topic and I'm here to share a few I've found with you all.

I hope some of you decide to check them out and share your thoughts in the comments!

Definitions:
Moral Relativism and Objectivism
Moral Objectivism
Objectivism

A defence of moral objectivism:
Moral Objectivism
Our Morality: A Defense of Moral Objectivism

Ayn Rand

Can Moral Objectivism Do Without God?


Sam Harris on Moral Objectivism

Comments